Wednesday 17 December 2008

The last blog of the year.


Small things amuse small minds so they say... this little chap, known as Fred, is only six inches high and he amuses me no end... 'nuff said I think?
Well, it's almost upon us, Christmas that is, and once again there was a discussion on television this morning about how stressed out women are at this time of year, how EVERYTHING is left to them to sort out and so on. Well, first of all, if you aren't able to delegate, if you have no bribery methods up your sleeve, or if you have DOORMAT on your forehead, then tough! On the other hand, there are lots of women who thrive on this kind of stress, so good luck to you too. If you're someone who has no family to share it with, or who prefers to spend it quietly with your other, dearly-beloved half, then there is no stress, no rushing about. It's all perfectly lovely and quiet and calm. All I need is snow to make it complete, or a heavy frost at the very least. Please, no sunshine and mild temperatures, whoever is in charge of weather control at this time of year.
Last time I blogged I wrote about the smells of Christmas.. how about the sounds though? One of the worse sounds is piped muzak, and in Tesco last week, it was so loud, you couldn't hear yourself think, people were having to shout at each other to be heard, and you felt sorry for the staff, who must go home stressed and deafened.
More welcome sounds though are those of schoolchildren singing at their Nativity Play, the Salvation Army playing outside our village shops, carollers outside the surgery. And no matter how often I hear it, good old Roy Wood and WIZARD always brings a smile to my face, a lift to my spirits.
And whilst it may seem too early to be writing the last blog of the year, this is what I intend this one to be, for I know that whilst I bask in the luxury of a non-stressful time, there are many of you with lots to do, places to go, people to see and so on, and looking at blogs will be the last thing on your mind.
So, speaking of spirits, I raise a glass to you all, thank you to those who have taken the time to comment on my blog ... although I'd do it anyway, having feedback has led me to read other blogs and given me enormous pleasure.... except for a certain American WINDOW TREATMENT company who invaded one of my earlier blogs, so I discovered yesterday, and who have received a very strongly worded email about same. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

9 comments:

Bluestocking Mum said...

Quiet Mousie would like Fred! He has several Christmas type bears.
Great blog-I probably used to be doormat, martyr, stressed at Christmas...not any more...

So with you on the weather-nice crisp clear day would be perfect.

Sending you and yours best wishes for a very happy Christmas and healthy 2009

D
xx

Mid Life Hopes said...

I love Fred, he is adorable!!!
I am thankful that I am not stressed at Christmas, as the sights, smells, sounds are always a joy no matter what! I truly hope you have the right weather for your Christmas day!
I will miss you not posting until the New Year!!!:(
Wishing you all the happiness and joy of the season also.
:)

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Yes, agree: Fred is gorgeous. And like you, I'm refusing to get stressed about Christmas - it's one day, right? (Well, ok - maybe two days) Which includes a large meal and a lot of television - how complicated can that be? (Perhaps don't answer that!) Actually, they had Bing playing at Tesco when I did my weekly shop, and I found it quite relaxing.

Wishing you a lovely Christmas, and thank you for all your lovely comments on my blog.

xx

Pondside said...

Fred is sweet, indeed. Good for you for maintaining your sanity while 'all about you are losing theirs'. I've blogged about something similar - I'm with you on just settling back to enjoy and let the stress go.
Merry Christmas to you, over there, too!

Elizabethd said...

What a delightful bear!

Quilting Cat said...

The art of delegation is well worth learning! Great blog and like you, I want it cold and frosty on Christmas morn. until I have to drive that is. Look forward to your first blog of 2009.

Lesley said...

Bye-ee until 2009!
Merry Christmas, and I hope you have a lot of frosty fun over there in lovely Norfolk.
I've loved having you visit and comment, and so enjoy reading your posts.
I greatly look forward to normal service being resumed as soon as possible.
Lesley
XX

Pipany said...

And the very same to you too PFG. I hope it is everything you wish it to be and more xxx

Calico Kate said...

Good points PFG. Think I fall somewhere in the middle, or at least I did. Far more laid back this year. What will be will be and anyway Mummys cooking!!
Have a wonderful day both
CKx